Barnet (Away) – 17-Sep-17

Barnet (Away) – 17-Sep-17 (report by Richard)

Watford League and Friendly teams went into battle with the Barnet A and B teams in a series of tight games at the Hive, home of Barnet FC this morning.  Each of the Watford teams played each of the Barnet teams in primarily 15 mins straight through games.

The Watford Friendly team was depleted late in the week with Paul Vinton (still injured) dropping out, and I also picked up a late injury on Thu session so we were down to the bare 7 of:

Goal: Steve Harrington
Defence: Ken Littleboy and Terry Singh
Middle: Alan Cutter, Steve Moss, Phil Marchand
Front: Rob Chaplin

Our first game against the Barnet A was quite tight, with little opportunity for either team to score initially. Unfortunately, Steve M rolled his ankle and was substituted after only 8 mins. We were lucky that Paul still came along to support the team and offered to play in goal for last 7 mins with Steve moving into defence and Terry into midfield.  Glen Cato, former Barnet player who also came to support the our boys, described this afterwards as “a master stroke of management” as Steve H put in a strong defending performance and Paul pulled off the save of the day to produce a 0-0 draw.

The second game against the Barnet B (who had Tony Bartolo playing for them in a rather attractive pink and white striped kit I may add) was also tight.  Steve M played for the first 5 mins before finally succumbing to the injury again. To keep things moving George Ferrar from the League team stepped in to take his place as the 31st different player to run out for the Friendly team.  The team now playing with some confidence after the previous week’s whipping, were solid at the back, with Steve H putting in another solid performance between the sticks, and the team probing at the front.  As the game looked to peter out none other than Alan Cutter stepped up and hit a cracking pile driver which almost tore through the net (or at least that’s how he describes it) to secure a well-deserved 1-0 win.

The overall average age of the team 60 years 1 month with Rob under 50 is impressive performance.  A few of the team gathered with the Barnet team to chat after the game, and a return match at the Meriden will be arranged in due course.  With myself, Paul, Glenn and Steve Morris plus Rob’s wife and baby coming to watch the match, we had an precedented record attendance of 6.

Next outings will be the Uxbridge and Feltham festivals in early Oct.

For the League Squad under Gary Shaw:
Attendance of 7 as my son also came to watch the league and friendly team play.
And is now getting a team together to play the league team in a friendly match at the Meriden in due course. Matches v Barnet I think we had winning scores of 1-0, 1-0, 4-0