Middlesex FA Festival @ Rectory Park – 16-Sep-18

Middlesex FA Festival @ Rectory Park : 16-Sep-18 (report by Gary)

The Bournemouth trip was followed up by a Watford team participating in the Middlesex/Ealing festival yesterday afternoon at the Middlesex FA ground which gave us excellent facilities of pitches, changing rooms and a cafe of which Kevin was probably its best customer.

It was a festival of just walking football on a round robin basis with a 50’s league and a 60’s league although the scores weren’t recorded by the organisers, with no league tables or winners.

In the morning they had run a refs course with our Michael Smith, Alan Read, Bill Melsome and Jonathan Sinfield participating.

The Watford squad was Kevin, Gary Shaw , Will, Howard Harris, Ken, Lakhi and Michael Smith who missed a couple of our games due to his refereeing and linesman duties for some of the other games.

We were entered in the 50’s league although we were all over 60 apart from Howard who will be 60 in a few weeks and Lakhi who’s still in his 50’s.

I never wrote down the results so I’m purely remembering the games from yesterday. The first game was against Barnet Blues who had Mo and Tony Bartolo playing against us.

It was only 48 hours earlier that Kevin and Tony were sharing a Bournemouth bed together and now they were on opposite sides on the football pitch (that would of made the News of the World paper a few years ago). It was good game with Gary and Howard both hitting the post but we fell behind to goal but Gary equalised with probably the last kick of the game, Barnet felt they lost a game they had won, and we felt like the better team over the 12 minutes game.

The second game was against Red Jako Bees and the 3rd game I can’t remember the name, but we won 2-0 and 3-0 with Howard getting 2 and then Will, a Gary penalty and Howard scoring.

We then came up again Wealdstone team which had our Malcolm Wright in goal, Steves’ Dyett and Moss with Ronny from QPR playing against us. This was a tight match with the officials taking centre stage with the match being continually stopped for what they considered running, with both teams looking at each other with disbelief and amusement, but we ended as victors with a 1-0 Howard win. The last game was against Feltham which was also 1-0 Howard win.

So, we were undefeated with Kevin only letting in 1 goal and a solid defence of Ken, Michael and Will, and Lakhi putting in a good midfield/ striker shift. Howard obviously scored most of the goals but they were all set up for him by Gary who chipped in with 2.

We were pleased to see Peter arrive as a late spectator sporting his Bournemouth suntan.